The study of sound perception is called pschoacoustics. Any time you hear or feel a sound, there are some amazing things that happen. For every sound your ear-brain system processes, you get information about:
Six Qualities of Sound Perception
- Pitch - (also associated with frequency), the perception of a high or low sound.
- Loudness - (also called amplitude), the intensity of a sound.
- Phase - the increase and decrease in pressure cycle any single vibration.
- Direction - (hearing with two ears creates left/right, high/low, front/back qualities), first come first heard by one ear or the other.
- Distance - (also associated with reverberation time), perception of how near or far away a sound's source is.
- Timbre - (also called tone color), the perceived quality of any sounds' multiple frequencies changing through time.